Monday, December 18, 2006

Little bit of this and that

I'm not a New Yorker, but after 9/11, the sight of window washers freaks me out. I don't know how people in New York deal with it, or whether they just have really dirty windows, but I can see five men hanging on ropes on my building right now. I'm freaked.

Random news stuff.

I found these articles really interesting.
The New Commission on Skills in the American Workforce has recommended a massive overhaul of the American educational system, so that our future workers can compete with Indian engineers earning $7400 a year. One of the recommendations is that 11th and 12th grades become optional. Another recommendation is a G.I. Bill-like proposal to pay for college for all American kids. About time we start thinking outside the box.

And then for anyone who vaguely follows politics. Everyone wants to know, which Democrat is running for Pres in 2008? And today's newspaper had a poll that Americans are more ready for a Black president, than a woman president. That's probably because of Morgan Freeman and Dennis Haysbert (almost said Hastert, ha ha!)'s star turns as President in... Deep Impact and 24, respectively. Geena Davis probably wasn't as convincing in that show of hers.

3 comments:

Cara said...

My hubs and I had that exact discussion over who would be more likely to get elected...Barack or Hilary. I honestly think that Barack would have a better chance because regardless of what Republicans might think of a female president, I think that many of them HATE Hilary with a white-hot passion.

Kami said...

Okay, yeah. Let's make 11th and 12th grade optional. Idiots. I do support a little more funding for college, though.

And yes, I think we'd elect a black man before we'd elect any woman. GO OBAMA!

Gail said...

Um, yeah, what she said. I'd rather have a dictator than Hilary as president...but...that would be the same thing...no...seriously, any other woman I would be fine with, just not her. Rep./Dem. I don't care, as long as they're good for the country (and not presently a senator for my home state)