Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Because Kami asked me to

One of my favorite movies of all time is Christopher Guest's amazing, hilarious, awesome Best in Show. Love it. And one of my favorite scenes from the movie is when the characters played by Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara are checking into the hotel in Philadelphia, and their credit card is rejected. "Try this one," Cookie says. "That's the good one." The card is declined. "No, no, that's the good card, it's only on the 2nd notice."

That line (although inaccurate as I report it) cracks me up every time. It is not as funny, however, when it is YOUR card that is declined, as my husband's was in Costco on Saturday.

Picture this, me and DH, each holding an increasingly fussy child. A cart full of stuff like dog food and frozen broccoli. A busy Saturday in a store that ONLY takes debit cards, Amex, or Costco credit cards. Of those three, we ONLY have a debit card that would not cover our dog food and broccoli.

Oh, I'm sure you can imagine the feeling, right? Thankfully, we had another debit card that worked. We start our way out the door, with the husband fighting with the 2 year old about her sitting in the cart, when, in front of the lunchtime crowd eating their hot dogs and churros, I inexplicably FALL. I was carrying M, and managed to keep her upright. I did this by twisting my body into an unnatural position and landing on my right knee.

Every eye in Costco was now looking at the mom on the floor with the baby, and the dad fighting the toddler. Two kind men came over to help me up. I thanked them, then limped back to where husband was standing with the cart and crying toddler.

"What happened?" he asked.

"Just. Go." I muttered.

I struggled to look as serene and as in-control as possible as we walked out, passing the busy service desk where every.one had seen me bite it and are now analyzing me to see what type of a mother would fall while holding a baby, like Britney Spears. Husband is muttering something about the bank, I'm thinking about the bruise forming on my right knee, and kids are now screaming.

Now that is a fun Saturday.

4 comments:

Kami said...

I just wish I had shopped at Costco on Saturday like I had planned to. I mean, I would have helped you, and all, but I could have maybe caught all this action on film. That's all I'm sayin'. Pictures are worth 1000 words, and all that...

:)

TheStolenOlive said...

Man, the things we do for our friends. Posting stories like this and all. And there Kami goes acting like she doesn't even appreciate it. HMMPh.

I hope your knee gets better. I have an awesome knee ice pack thing if you would like to borrow it.

Melanie said...

Still laughing about it. I can only imagine how embarrasing that was!

Anonymous said...

Uh...once again, we are the same person. See my LJ entry today.