Monday, February 26, 2007

One good story and one bad

My parents gave E some knock-off crocs for Christmas. She’d been asking to wear them, but (1) they were a little big for her and (2) they had holes in them, and it was very cold outside. Then I noticed some little girls in her class wearing them, and I figured they probably were very practical for day care life, and it got a little warmer, and her feet are bigger, so I broke them out last week. My mom also sent me a pair of mary jane crocs for Valentines Day, which are green like E’s. I HAD to point that out to her, and now every time she’s wearing hers, she wants mommy to wear her green shoes, like E.

So we were fighting that battle yesterday, when she got out one of my Coach purses that I had left out. “Bye bye mommy, see you later,” And she walked around the house with it, pretending like she was going on a trip. She even put in her tube of Burt's Bees lip balm (hers because she used it while sick with the plague.)

Then the real stylist moment came when Jeff came out without his pants on. Back up… he had showered, and dressed. He had a shirt on, and boxers, and had come into the living room to get his jeans out of his suitcase. “Pants on, Daddy, pants on!”

Our little stylist – green crocs for mommy, coach purse for her and pants for daddy. She’ll be dressing Jessica Biel before you know it.

So that’s my fun bit for today and now for the heartwrenching part. And I’m having difficulty writing about it, but I want you, my readers, to learn something from my pain.

Falling at Costco? Not my most embarrassing moment anymore.

Yesterday I served as assisting minister at church. It was my first time. I was terribly nervous. I read the gospel, lead the prayers of the people. All was well. I assisted at communion and spilled the chalice of red wine all over the organist.

Go me.

I wiped up what I could and had to go on. I started getting a little hysterical during communion. I’m sure most of the people who accepted wine from me (this time in the little cups in the tray) hadn’t seen the chalice debacle, but I still imagined them cowering in fear, “Don’t spill it on me!”

I put on a good face and walked with the pastors to the back of the church at the end of the service. The pastor put his arm around me and said some things to make me feel better, then made me go shake hands with the congregation.

After I was done, I ran back to the sacristy to grab my purse and a $10 bill. I found the organist, a nice woman who has, however, always intimidated me. I pressured her to take the money for cleaning her SUEDE JACKET. (Oh, I didn’t mention that detail?) She was extremely gracious, and declined, and forgave me. I started crying, and cried all the way home.
The rest of the day distracted me, and the pastor called me again last night to tell me it was fine, that he could tell me horrible stories about things he had done and seen during worship. I told him that it was more than just me being embarrassed about a mistake. My experience at the communion table was a big reason why I joined our church, why I even became Lutheran. It means a lot to me, and the fact that I could have detracted from someone else’s experience distressed me.

What could he say? “Well, that’s a good reason to feel responsible, but just brush it off, and next time you'll be fine.”

“I’m invited back another time?”

He laughed, “Of course.”

I’m still not over the mortification, or the guilt, but his and the victim’s graciousness says a lot about them, and about our church family.

I’m still taking a few months off from the job, though.

5 comments:

Kami said...

Oh, E. She WILL be a fashionista. I can't wait. She will run things like whatshername in Devil Wears Prada.

Sara, I know the communion thing was painful for you. But through your telling of the story, two good things come. 1. You heal. 2. We, the people who love you, get to laugh - because we love you.

When I was confirmed, the Pastor Chuck confirmed me as "Kim," my best friend, who was right next to me. Maybe that's what's wrong with me...

Melanie said...

I love her style. Love it! Thank you for sharing your story with us. It sounds like you have picked a great church home. Sorry that I giggled as I read it though :)

Michelle said...

Awwww, E the little diva. Love her..

Now Sara, first count your blessings that you weren't banished. I mean you know what they say, you can't do the Lords work with dirty hands. Sounds like you got a lot more than your hands dirty.

Finelly said...

I hate days like that. Don't feel bad, it was an honest mistake. All will be forgotten sooner than you think.

amyd said...

oh my... when i was little, we used to all take turns kneeling att the altar in groups around a low bannister to receive the emelents as the pastor passed them around. when it was my turn to take my little plastic cup, it caught on the tray and spilled all over the mint green carpet. i bawled for the whole day.

public mistakes are the worst, especially when they involve something importrant or even sacred... but give yourself a break... if everyone else has forgiven you, all you have to do is forgive yourself. plus, everyone will forget about it soon. :)

amyd